Senior Electronic Design Engineer
Location: Derby / partial remote / WFH
Permanent | 39 Hrs /Week
- You will be an electronics engineer whose focus is on electronics hardware design. You will have demonstratable experience in the design of electronic circuits comprising digital electronics, microcontrollers (8, 16 or 32 bit), the interfaces between electronic circuits (e.g. SPI, UART, I2C), memories (e.g. EEPROM, SDRAM and DDR RAM), analogue and power circuits comprising operational amplifiers, input conditioning circuits, filters and power supply circuits (Linear and Switched Mode).
- You will be capable of working alone or with colleagues as part of an existing team of Electronics Engineers and will be accustomed to working to project deadlines in a customer facing role designing products suitable for high volume manufacture.
- You will be part of an Electronics Team (15 members) comprising Electronics Hardware Engineers, PCB Layout Engineers and Test Equipment Support Engineers. As part of this team, you will work alongside the larger Engineering team (~60 members) comprising Mechanical Engineers, Software Engineers and Production Engineers. You will design electronic circuits using existing Schematic capture, CAD tools and processes, working on interesting and diverse projects across the range of sectors that Pektron supports where you will be involved in every aspect of the product lifecycle from quotation, concept, design and validation through to manufacture. The role will utilise the full scope of your electronics hardware engineering skills and experience. Additionally you will support new business opportunities and create proposals, Lead projects and provide guidance to more junior members of the team.
Essential Skills and experience:
- Mixed analogue and digital design with microcontrollers (typically 32 bit in new designs – STM32, Aurix, iMX)
- Schematic capture
- Use of common tools such as DVM, oscilloscopes
- Performing design verification and board bring-up tests
- Understanding the validation cycle of a project including EMC and environmental validation testing
Desirable Skills and experience:
Knowledge of some (but not necessarily all) of the below would be beneficial :
- Power supply design (predominantly DC-DC converters)
- Automotive communications physical layer : CAN, LIN, Ethernet
- Experience in the use of System Basis Chips (SBC) and Power Management IC (PMIC)
- Use of High Side Protected FET devices, Low Side Protected FET devices, Half Bridge and Full Bridge Driver devices
- Understanding of Design Failure Mode Effects Analysis (DFMEA)
- Appreciation of Design for Manufacture (DFM)
- Awareness and use of circuit simulators (e.g LT Spice)
- Design experience of USB2.0 or USB3.0
- Design experience in Bluetooth, NFC, Wi-FI, LTE at a modular level
- Awareness of ISO26262 or other functional safety standards
- An understanding of Embedded Software
- Awareness of Vector CAN tools
A willingness and ability to travel internationally to support customers (typically US & EU) would be beneficial
Experience in one or more of the following typical product areas would be beneficial but not essential :
- Body Controller ECUs for automotive applications
- Hydraulic Controller ECUs for off-highway and construction applications
- TFT Instrument Cluster panels for off-highway or automotive applications
- Interior and Exterior LED Lighting circuits for automotive applications
- Vehicle Security systems utilising RF, UHF & LF
Flexible Home/On site working
Yearly pay review
25 days holiday plus bank holidays
Free tea & coffee
Cycle to work scheme
Funding for professional training and further education plus support in attaining professional membership and paid membership fees
39 hour working week with flexible start and finish times
For candidates interested in relocating to the area we can assist with relocation costs and we are able to offer Skilled worker sponsorship for candidates who meet all our criteria.
Pektron are one of the largest privately owned electronics manufacturers in the world with over 50 years’ experience delivering bespoke electronics hardware and software solutions to blue-chip companies globally. We are innovators in our field and invest in the best people, processes and equipment to drive technological development and meet our customer’s needs.
At our HQ in Derby we employ 380 staff and operate Engineering, Manufacturing, Design, Testing, Quality and Support functions, whilst our Sales and Technology centre in Detroit supports our customers in the US.
Our customers are globally recognised brands and leaders in their field across multiple market segments. We design and manufacture the electronic and software solutions which power their success. Whether it be black box electronic controllers used in construction and agricultural vehicles or high end instrument displays used in prestige vehicles, we create the electronic products to meet our customers’ needs.
To find out more about this vacancy, please call 01332 832424 or email your CV directly using the form below.